* Note: NAMI does not offer support groups for people under age 18. Normally, groups for children and adolescents must be led by a licensed professional, while NAMI groups are run by trained peers with lived experience. You can try contacting your insurance provider to locate a mental health agency that offers therapy groups for youth. NAMI does have support groups and an education class (NAMI Basics) for parents and caretakers of children & adolescents with mental health issues.
NAMI FAMILY SUPPORT GROUP is a support group for family members, significant others and friends of people with mental health conditions. NAMI Santa Clara County offers family support groups in English, Spanish, Korean and Chinese. In addition, we also offer support group which both the individual diagnosed with mental health condition can attend with a family member. These groups are called Family and Peer support group.
NAMI SCC Office In Person Family Support Group:
We are having our first In Person Family Support Group after the pandemic.
When: Tuesday Oct 3rd, 2023 at 7 – 8:30 pm.
Where: NAMI SCC Office
1150 S. Bascom Ave. Suite 24, San Jose CA 95128
Come to the entrance at the back of the building, adjacent to the parking lot, and proceed upstairs to suite 24. No pre-registration is necessary.
This support group will meet every first Tuesday of the month.
Other online support groups meeting via Zoom:
You will need to pre-register to attend online NAMI Family Support Groups
- To pre-register, click on the link (in calander ) to sign up ahead of time.
- You will receive a zoom link from your facilitator by email on the day of your meeting.
- Deadline to sign up: 2 hours before the support group begins (e.g. 5 PM for groups starting at 7 PM)
- Group facilitator will email the zoom link to the email you provided at registration. Please note: the facilitator will not be able to email you if you register after the deadline.
- For more information about these groups, call NAMI Helpline at 408-453-0400 #1 Mon – Fri 10 AM to 6 PM (press #4 if calling after 6 PM).
Please Note: Observers (e.g., media, researchers, students) are NOT PERMITTED to attend or audit any NAMI SCC class or support group as the information shared in the group is confidential.
NAMI -Santa Clara County offers support groups in English, Spanish, Mandarin and Korean. We recommend that you attend a few groups to find the one that best suits your needs.
For other Non-NAMI Community support groups, check our Resource Guide (Page 2) at Resource Guide Page
Family Support Groups
NAMI Family Support Group is a peer-led support group for any adult with a loved one who has experienced symptoms of a mental health condition. Gain insight from the challenges and successes of others facing similar experiences.
NAMI’s support groups are unique because they follow a structured model, ensuring everyone has an opportunity to be heard and to get what they need.
- Free of cost to participants
- Designed for adult loved ones of people with mental health conditions
- Led by family members of people with mental health conditions
- 60-90 minutes long and meets weekly, every other week or monthly (varies by location)
- No specific medical therapy or treatment is endorsed
What You’ll Gain
By sharing your experiences in a safe setting, you can gain hope and develop supportive relationships. This group allows your voice to be heard and provides an opportunity for your personal needs to be met. It encourages empathy, productive discussion and a sense of community. You’ll benefit from other’s experiences, discover your inner strength and empower yourself by sharing your own experiences in a non-judgmental space.
NAMI Family Support Group will help you:
- Aim for better coping skills
- Find strength in sharing experiences
- Not judge anyone’s pain
- Forgive ourselves and reject guilt
- Embrace humor as healthy
- Accept that we cannot solve every problem
- Understand that mental health conditions are no one’s fault and can be traumatic experiences
OTHER LOCAL COMMUNITY SUPPORT GROUPS
Our current Resource Guide also lists meeting dates, times, locations and contact information for other local community organizations that offer free mental health support groups for Consumers, Families and Friends.
In addition, we list related support groups from the following organizations:
- Mental Health Association for Chinese Communities – contact Jen at email@example.com
- Parents Helping Parents – for families of kids with special needs, including mental health disabilities
- Suicide & Crisis Services – for suicide/mental health crisis and suicide prevention
- Centre for Living with Dying – for grief support
- YWCA trauma support groups – for teens and adults dealing with trauma