NAMI Basics is a free, 6-week education program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or who have already been diagnosed.
**New**NAMI Basics OnDemand Brochure**New**
NAMI Basics is a 6-session education program for parents, caregivers and other family who provide care for youth (ages 22 and younger) who are experiencing mental health symptoms. This program is free to participants, 99% of whom say they would recommend the program to others. NAMI Basics is available both in-person and online through NAMI Basics OnDemand.
The in-person course is taught by a trained team with lived experience raising a child with a mental health condition. They know what you’re going through because they’ve been there too. At the in-person class, you will meet other families in your area with whom you can network and share resources to build your own local support network.
The OnDemand program is also guided by parents and family members with lived experience but is self-paced and available 24/7. OnDemand offers the flexibility of participating in the course on your schedule. Both formats provide identical information, strategies and the opportunity to connect with other parents and caregivers.
What You Should Expect
- Meets for six sessions, 2.5 hours each, free of cost.
- Designed for parents and other family caregivers of children and adolescents living with mental illness.
- Taught by a team of trained teachers who are family caregivers of individuals who developed symptoms of mental illness as children.
- Provides critical information and strategies related to caregiving.
- Incorporates presentations, discussion and interactive exercises.
Why You Should Attend
A toolkit of information:
- Up-to-date information on a range of mental illnesses and their impact on the brain.
- Current research on treatments including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects.
- Preparation for interactions with the mental health care system, school system and juvenile justice system.
- An overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems. Resources to help you navigate these systems.
- How to advocate for your child’s rights in school and in health care settings
Training in preparedness and emotional resiliency:
- How to prepare for and respond to crisis situations (self-harm, suicide attempts, etc)
- How to effectively communicate with your child.
- Importance of taking care of yourself
- Strategies for navigating the challenges presented by mental illness for each family member.
- Confidence and stamina for life-long understanding and support.
By participating in NAMI Basics, you’ll realize that you are not alone. You’ll find support and shared understanding—compassion, reinforcement and empathy from people who truly get your situation. And don’t forget: Your experiences may also help others in the course. Together, you will all learn that recovery is a journey, and there is hope.
What Others Have to Say About NAMI Basics
“This is such a great step-by-step program that walks parents through every step. It’s as if they’re holding your hand through it all.”
“This class was unexpectedly wonderful! I did not expect to learn so very, very much! This program is well-written with excellent segues between topics. It covers so much more than BASICS—the title doesn’t do it justice.”
“I find it truly remarkable that this is free to those who are interested.”
“NAMI Basics OnDemand allows parents and primary caregivers to easily access information and resources available to support themselves and their family’s mental health needs.”
“The convenience of being able to do the program when I was able to find the time was invaluable.”
==> For more information, or to sign up for the NAMI Basics class, email the NAMI Warmline Help Desk, or call 408-453-0400, option1 or: