Faith communities are often the first place that people reach out for support. NAMI FaithNet is a network of NAMI members and friends dedicated to promoting caring faith communities and promoting the role of faith in recovery for individuals and families affected by mental illness. This site is a reflection of a closer partnership between NAMI, NAMI State Organizations and NAMI Affiliate leaders.
NAMI FaithNet is a network composed of members and friends of NAMI. It was established for the purposes of:
- Facilitating the development within the faith community of a non-threatening, supportive environment for those with mental illness and their families.
- Pointing out the value of one’s spirituality in the recovery process from mental illness and the need for spiritual strength for those who are caretakers.
- Educating clergy and faith communities concerning mental illness and
- Encouraging advocacy of the faith community to bring about hope and help for all who are affected by mental illness.
NAMI FaithNet is not a religious network but rather an outreach to all religious organizations. It has had significant success in doing so because all the major religions have the basic tenets of giving care and showing compassion to those in need.
NAMI FaithNet respects all religious beliefs. It also recognizes the expression by the majority of those affected by mental illness of the importance of the role of their spirituality in their ability to cope with having one of these illnesses themselves or in caring for an ill friend or family member. NAMI FaithNet encourages all those who are affected by a mental illness, who are also members of a faith community, to talk to their clergy person about mental illness and the role their faith is playing in their lives. Sadly, at present, many shy away from speaking with their clergy person because of the effect the stigma of mental illness has had on their lives. Talking to your clergy acheives two purposes:
- By telling their clergy person their story, he or she becomes personally involved and personal involvement is the best method of education. Understanding requires not only the attention of the ears and eyes, but also the heart; and
- By speaking to their clergy person, they have the opportunity to gain spiritual support.
To learn more about NAMI FaithNet, call 408-453-0400 ext 3035.
Faith Leader’s COVID-19 Resource Toolbox
- Covid Support Services – For updated list of online support, county services updates and other community resources during this crisis.
- Wellness and Resources – This contains a list of resources for families facing financial hardships due to Corona Virus pandemic. You can download and print it for your congregation. This list was compiled by our FaithNet team, immediately after “Shelter-in-place” order was issued. (This list was last updated 3/23/2020)
- *New* “Ask them for their WISDOM” a project by NAMI Santa Clara County FaithNet – NAMI Santa Clara County FaithNet asked people who are living with serious mental health conditions, to share how they are coping during this current crisis. What emerged is a treasure trove of wisdom.
- *New* FaithNet Weekly Newsletter – A Weekly Newsletter published by NAMI FaithNet with weekly news and updates. This issue contains articles on how to avoid Mental health burnout during covid 19.
VIRTUAL TOWN HALLS:
Virtual Town Halls will take place over zoom and will be FACEBOOK LIVE @cscbehavioralhealth
- Punjabi Town Hall: Covid-19 And Your Mental Health:Thursday May 21, 2020 6 – 8 PM Click HERE to Register Flyer in English Flyer in Punjabi
- Korean Town Hall – Covid 19 & your Well being – Wednesday May 27, 2020 7:00 – 8:00 PM Click HERE to Register Flyer
- Spanish Town Hall Covid-19 y Su Salud Mental – Wednesday May 27, 2020 1:30 PM – 3:00 PM Click Here to Register Flyer
- Vietnamese Town Hall Vi khuẩn COVID-19 và sức khỏe tâm trí/tâm thần của Quý Vị – Wednesday May 27, 2020 6-7 PM Click Here to Register Flyer
- Indian Town Hall Covid and Your Mental Health – Friday May 29, 2020 12:00 – 1:30 PM Click Here to Register Flyer
- LGBTQI+ Town Hall on COVID-19 and Mental Health – Monday June 1, 2020 3:30 – 5 PM Click Here to Register Flyer
FAITH LEADER’S VIRTUAL LUNCHEON: Thursday May 28, 2020 11 AM – 12 PM RSVP by Monday May 25, 2020 via email to email@example.com or call 408-453-0400 x3025 A zoom information will be sent following registration. FLYER